NICCY Youth Panel
The NICCY Youth Panel (NYP) is there to help the Commissioner in her day-to-day work.
The Youth Panel is made up of young people who share their experiences and thoughts with the Commissioner and her staff and help NICCY make decisions about issues that affect children and young people.
The panel's aim is to empower and help children and young people develop so that they can take an active and full part in:
- Consultation and participation in and discussion on issues affecting children and young people in Northern Ireland
- Recruiting of NICCY staff
There are 25 members of the panel representing different religions, different abilities and disabilities, and of different ethnic groups. The members are also spread geographically throughout Northern Ireland.
In developing as a group, the NYP has created their own Constitution and Recruitment Policy. Youth panel members self select reflecting their own areas for interest and knowledge
NICCY Youth Panel Photos
Niall Moore, NICCY participation officer, with Dan, Anna, Stephanie and Clementine.
Staff and NICCY Youth Panel members- old, current and new, at the End of Year Awards at the Belfast Activity Centre, June 2009.
In the past, members of the NYP have been involved in:-
- Project teams: sitting on planning teams for various projects, being involved in the development , monitoring and outworking of activities/events
- Developing NICCY policy: supporting the development of policy in the areas of school transport, sexual health and poverty
- Responding to Government consultations: the panel provide additional information from a young person’s point of view to support NICCY’s responses to the consultations
- Recruiting permanent members for staff: NYP members are given recruitment and equality training to enable them to sit on interview panels when recruiting NICCY staff. They also are involved in role plays when used as part of the recruitment process.
- Represented on Investors in People (IIP) working group: to develop more of a governance role, NYP members have recently been invited to participate in the IIP working group
- Sits on Shadow ethics committee (SEC) for research projects: running parallel to the NICCY ethics committee, the shadow ethics committee are involved in the looking at ethical issues whenever research is undertaken. 2 members of SEC feed back to the Ethics Committee with their thoughts.
- Advisory Groups for research/service reviews
- Staff Recruitment: NYP members trained in recruitment procedures and equality issues. They have a full role and equal voice in shortlisting, role play and interviewing candidates for permanent NICCY posts
- NYP budget management when planning residentials: A residential sub-committee has a budget to work with when planning residentials, including selecting residential centres, transport, food and activities.
- NYP supported development of national consultation methods and processes which identified NICCY’s priorities. They were also involved in the delivery of workshops as part of the consultation process.
- Each priority has a Project Team to co-ordinate the outworking and achieve objectives. Each project team has 2 members of the NYP giving input and advice from a young person’s perspective.
- Shadow Ethics Committee have influence over how research/service reviews proceed
- NYP involved in decisions around organisational policy positions on key issues such as Sexual health, School Transport and Child Poverty. (see also 1b – shadow ethics committee with regard to research where literary evidence and methodology evidence is presented to them and discussion facilitated around this).
- NYP are also involved in consultation responses to Government policies / strategies where appropriate. Every consultation response advocates direct consultation with children and young people.