NICCY's Children's Rights Review
NICCY launched the findings of its 2007/08 Review of Children’s Rights in Northern Ireland at the Long Gallery, Stormont on 17 February 2009. The report of the work – entitled ‘Children’s Rights: Rhetoric or Reality’ is downloadable, by chapter, below.
The review assesses the current state of children’s rights in NI against the framework of rights contained within the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC). Considering a wide range of both primary and secondary data sources, it identifies areas of progress and concern and sets out a series of priority action areas that must be addressed if children’s rights are to be more effectively realised within NI.
Please note that due to the large nature of the report (440 pages) it may take time to download the links depending on your internet connection. Also please note that you will need an up to date version of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to view the pdf files -you can download it free from here.
- Introductory Sections
- Chapter 1 : Background and Methodologyapter 1
- Chapter 2 : General Measures of Implementation
- Chapter 3 : Civil Rights and Personal Protections
- Chapter 4 : Family Life and Alternative Carehapter 4
- Chapter 5 : Health and Welfare
- Chapter 6 : Education
- Chapter 7 : Leisure, Play and Cultureapter 7
- Chapter 8 : Children in Conflict with the Law and the Administration of Juvenile Justiceapter 8
- Bibliography and Appendices
- Background information can be found by clicking the links below:
- Young person's Questionnaire
- Parents's Questionnaire
- Professional's Questionnaire
- Post Primary Session Plan
You can view the initial review of secondary data sources, undertaken by McMahon and Keenan, here.