Jump to content
Here are some of the things the Legal and Investigations team can do
- Investigations - we can investigate complaints against public bodies on behalf of children and young people - you can find out more about our investigations here.
- Public bodies can include schools, hospitals, councils and many more - if you are not sure about these please contact us.
- We can help a child or young person bring their complaint to a public body.
- We can bring legal proceedings about the rights and welfare of children and young people.
- We can help children and young people in legal proceedings against public bodies.
Restrictions on what we can do
- We cannot get involved in private law proceedings such as, residence and contact between parents.
- We cannot deal with complaints against the police, these need to be referred to the Police Ombudsman.
- We cannot get involved in the conduct of court proceedings.
- We cannot deal with complaints against private organisations or individuals.
How we will help
If your case falls within our remit we will deal with your case under our Legal Assistance Policy which can be viewed here (pdf format), the document can also be viewed here in MS Word format.
Please feel free to contact us about any issue you may have, if we cannot help you, we will endeavour to find someone who can.