Policy and Participation
The department has two key areas:
Policy and Research
The Commissioner has a duty to keep under review the adequacy and effectiveness of law, practice and services relating to children and young people. She also must provide advice to relevant authorities, and can publish research, information or guidance on any issue relating to children’s rights and best interests. This work can cover a wide range of issues affecting children’s lives such as play and leisure, education, social care, health services and justice. You can find out more here.
We work to support organisations in achieving best practice in terms of children and young people’s participation in civic life. We are also responsible for the Commissioner’s Youth Panel. There are over 40 members of the Youth Panel who support the work of the Commissioner and advise her on key issues. You can read more about our Participation work here.
- The team is lead by Head of Department Alex Tennant - Alex@niccy.org
Alex is supported by:
- Niamh Devlin - Senior Policy and Research Officer Niamh@niccy.org
- Ken Smyth- Senior Participation Officer Ken@niccy.org
The Policy and Research staff are:
- Christine Irvine - Policy and Research Officer Christine@niccy.org
- Jacqueline Melville - Policy and Research Officer Jacqueline@niccy.org
- Fiona Cole - Policy and Research Officer FionaC@niccy.org
The Participation staff are: