NICCY has published its 'UK WITHDRAWAL FROM THE EU - ‘BREXIT’ Implications for Children and Young People in Northern Ireland' paper (Dec 20).
- You can view the paper here
It’s Our Brexit Too: Children’s Rights, Children’s Voices
The Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children and Young People (NICCY) and the Ombudsman for Children (OCO) in Ireland held a conference involving over 100 young people to explore the impact of Brexit on Children’s Rights.
They worked with a cross border steering group of 22 young people, who developed and then led the event in Newry in November 2017. Together they explored how Brexit might affect children and young people in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, and provided key decision-makers with the opportunity of hearing directly from the young people of their concerns.
We have since heard from many of the political representatives who attended the event, and they have been amazed at the insight and understanding shown by the young people, and the range of issues raised in the discussions.
We have now produced a report of the event. This provides an overview of the key issues raised by the young people, and a number of recommendations for political representatives in relation to Brexit.
As part of their preparations the group developed scenarios based on the concerns of children and young people in Ireland and Northern Ireland. These are not intended as a definitive guide of how Brexit will affect Children’s Rights, but as discussion prompts to explore some of the challenges children and young people might face in fully realising their rights.
Brexit Position Paper
- NICCY produced an advice paper ‘UK Withdrawal from the EU - Overview of the Potential Impact on Children in Northern Ireland’ - you can view it here
- You can view the accompanying press release here
- You can read our press release from the launch of the reports here
- You can read the Commissioner's Brexit blog here
- You can read the statement on the impact of Brexit on NI Children raised by EU Children’s Commissioners